You are here:
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Jian Law Group

Visitor for business/visitor for leisure (B-1/B-2 visa):

B visa is a non-immigrant visa that enables individuals to travel to the United States for vacations or business trips. Individuals must apply for a visa at a U.S. consulate abroad prior to the trip. Whether or not to grant the B-1/B-2 visa is in the interest of the American Consulate abroad and it is advised that there should be no intention to give up the foreign residency.

B-1 visa is for individuals who enter the U.S. for business trips or conduct business meetings, whereas B-2 visa is for short vacations or family visits. Sometimes business and pleasure are often mixed when traveling and hence the B-1 and B-2 are issued as a combined B-1/B-2 visas. In addition, individuals who are holding B-1/B-2 non-immigrant visa wishing to “change status” to another non-immigrant visa is permissible. The period of stay for B-1/B-2 visa is somewhere ranged from 1 month to 6 months maximum, with possible extension of another 6 months.

Certain countries may have qualified for Visa Waiver Program (VWP) which is an alternative to the B visa. Usually individuals travel from qualified countries need to register with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). Individuals who travel via VWP may be granted for the duration of 90 days and no “change of status” or extension allowed. However, individuals travel from VMP countries may also apply for B-1/B-2 visas to enter the U.S. via regular process as described above if individuals plan to stay in the U.S. for more than 90 days or to change/extend their B-1/B-2 status in the U.S.

Jian Law Group will serve our clients in the interest of “changing the status” from B-1/B-2 to another non-immigrant visas, for more information please refer to the related link (change status) or contact us for a prompt reply.




Related Topics

Change | extend status






Free Consultation

Office: +1-949-544-1155


Fax: +1-877-900-5188

QQ Group: 116132750

WeChat: jianlawgroup8

E-mail: info@jianlawgroup